Monday, August 07, 2006

Sometimes doing what you "usually" do is the wrong solution.

I can't believe I got burned out. My knitting needles and numerous Works In Progress lacked all appeal. No matter how many times I looked at them, or at the pattern books, or even at the list of things-to-be-completed before December.

It might be the 100+ tempertures (or evening temperatures in the low 80's.)
Too hot to knit. Cranky. Even with lovely synthetic ribbon yarn or light lace weight alpaca.

So I put away the WIP's and got out my needle felting barbs.
Jab jab jab.
Stab Stab Stab.
Being calm and meditative couldn't hold a candle to fibrous hostility.

I'm molding a small polar bear. No, I won't be able to "wear him in the winter" or show him off at a wedding shower.
But I will have my sanity. That's a good thing.

Sometimes it pays to change pace.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There have been many times in my knitting life that I have laid down the needles. I just didn't care anymore. Each time it could be traced back to some upheaval in my life. While knitting is generally calming, sometimes I just can't reach that zen place. I think needle felting sounds like the perfect alternative. Poke out the angst and create something at the same time. I believe that is what many wonderful artists did with paint and brush.

wenders said...

Jab jab jab. Sounds like fun. And I want to see the polar bear, please...

Anonymous said...

I remember you from Illustration Friday but didn't realize you knit, too! I was in Texas a couple of weeks ago and understand what you mean it being too hot to knit. The low 80s is probably your house with the A.C. going full-blast!

I sure love it there, though. But it's really because of the people there.