Wednesday, July 12, 2006

After a project is finished

I forget that even though I have now knit TWO cabled Fisherman type sweaters, (and many fancy scarves, a jacket, and socks, socks, socks!) there's no guarantee that the next project will go smoothly.

The first fisherman was naively knit in acrylic (OMG... but it was the 60's!!) Like the sister in the Tale of the Seven Swans, I tried to knit a protective spell for the then love of my life and bane of my mother's existance. I don't know if he wore it much, but it fit. It was beautiful, and heaven knows it was probably indestructible. (More so than he was. According to Ancestors.com I've outlived him.)

The second fisherman was knit for my son. I still don't know why I waited until "the baby" was over 6 feet tall to do a hand knit for him. It needs the cuffs to be "tightened" and even in Indiana said son says it is too warm to wear. It is in Bliss' Cashmerino Aran and is divine. If I don't see evidence of it being worn, or get it in the mail to fix the cuffs, I may ask for it back and wear it at night!

Anyway-- Even though you might have accomplished something very challenging -- such as a cabled sweater, or getting a raise, or surviving one form or another of cancer, grief or natural disaster, it doesn't mean that there won't be more challenges ahead.




Wouldn't it be nice if a challenge in the past acted like a vaccine against future trials?

But it doesn't. I nearly went bats learning the Arrowhead Lace pattern. I mumbled unpleasant incantations while knitting face cloths of all things. Well, they WERE lace and used size 2 needles. And then there's the brioche stitch swatch to the right... and there were INSTRUCTIONS for that.

In real life, when you see the next challenge has arrived, brought new baggage but no instructions it, and acts like it's sticking around for a while, take a deep breath, pace yourself andget to work.

First apply what you already know. It might be enough!
If that doesn't work, what do you need to know? I went to my local yarn shop when in the throes of the Arrowhead Lace and whined to the resident expert. All she did was ask one powerful question: "What happens on the row before?" When I got home to my knitting, focusing my attention there clarified the whole pattern, even with its repeats!

Always,
  • remember to avoid sleep deprivation,
  • ask for help when you are repeating your same mistakes,
  • remind yourself that it isn't an emergency, and
  • that you can take another crack at it in the morning.

If you'd like a powerful question to clarify a challenge, contact me!

1 comment:

wenders said...

I love that cabled sweater.